I had been busy doing my usual load of random stuff, most not completely gentoo related, some a bit more.
Let’s start with the nicer ones: Marco spent lots of time and eventually it paid off, ffdirac now supports Iframes just fine, it’s quite an important step! As mentor I hadn’t to do much beside watching the evolution of the code and suggesting course of action. In the other news there is a new dirac spec released just today, probably some of the changes are due Marco’s work =)
Today we tried to do some hackery to get git-svn play nice with the braindamage we have on the ffmpeg soc svn. Sadly my side works great, his side not (fetching from svn and pulling to an ffmpeg.git branch works, pushing back to svn not).
About the dirac project I must say that they started with the right frame of mind from day 0, I couldn’t find a group more open to discussion and suggestion, no matter if were things like “It’s wrong to implement dirac in C++, nobody would use it” or “the latex pdf output as you made it is unreadable. I hope to eventually have the time to get texlive working or find something that converts the tex files to docbook and provide a better pdf for them, really I cannot stand reading it for more than 5min… Now I hope this summer of code effort will lead to get a better dirac overall (and that eventually BBC will use it for streaming their fine contents, oh, did I mention that I have a student on my university that should work on getting dirac-rtp a reality? check LScube in the next month)
To sum up, I’m quite happy with this summer of code experience and I thank Marco again for being a great person to work with.
While we are at it some more informations about ffmpeg related efforts, I eventually hacked again a bit on roundup resulting in fixing/workarounding some problems with the email integration, if you happen to have some problems on ffmpeg please give it a try.
Beside that, my work at LScube is still going on, sucking lots of my time… Lately I tried to add more packetizers to feng but w/out much success, looks like my aac implementation is a *bit* wrong, usually relooking at it after a while helps me fixing the issue (as I did for h264) I hope to have it (and many more) completed for the next release. On the client side libnemesi is still waiting for more depacketizers while Alessandro is cleaning up the network stacks, making it less quirky.
Now I could speak of gentoo related stuff, I’m trying to fix some of the programs still using the img_* interface, since it is an annoying task I waited a bit hoping upstream would adapt… No reaction so far so I’m starting with something simple as blender and then hopefully move on other ones. What sucks about the img -> sws move is that sws is less commented, has quite ugly but performant code and it’s a pain to hack on, I started to clean it up but then got sidetracked so there are still some patches waiting completion…
I guess this is a post long enough, probably I’ll add another update tomorrow.