Software in the making edition
Gentoo Linux is proud to announce the availability of a new LiveDVD to celebrate the continued collaboration between Gentoo users and developers. The LiveDVD features a huge list of packages, some of which are listed below.
- System packages include: Linux Kernel 2.6.37 (with Gentoo patches), Accessibility Support with Speakup 3.1.6, bash 4.1, glibc 2.12.2, gcc 4.5.2, binutils 2.21, python 2.7.1 and 3.1.3, perl 5.12.3, and more.
- Desktop environments and window managers include: GNOME 2.32, KDE SC 4.6, Xfce 4.8, Enlightenment 1.0.7, Openbox 220.127.116.11, Fluxbox 1.3.1, XBMC 10.0 and more.
- Office, graphics, and productivity applications include: OpenOffice 3.2.1, XEmacs 21.5.29, gVim 7.3.102, Abiword 2.8.6, GnuCash 2.2.9, Scribus 1.9.3, GIMP 2.6.11, Inkscape 0.48.1, Blender 2.49b, XSane 0.997, and much more.
- Web browsers include: Epiphany 2.30.6, Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13, Arora 0.11.0, Opera 11.0, Seamonkey 2.0.11, and other favorites.
- Communication tools include: Pidgin 2.7.10, Quassel 0.7.1, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.7, Claws Mail 3.7.8, Qtwitter 0.10.0, irssi 0.8.15, and many more.
- Development applications include: Anjuta 18.104.22.168, KDevelop 4.2, KDESvn 1.5.5, qt-creator 2.1.0, Bluefish 2.0.2, and many more.
- Multimedia applications include: Amarok 2.4, MPlayer 1.0_rc4, DVDAuthor 0.6.14, LAME 3.98.4, ffmpeg 0.6, GNOME-MPlayer 1.0.0, SMPlayer 0.6.9, and several others.
- Special Features:
- Writable AUFS support so you can emerge new packages!
- Persistence for $HOME is available; press F9 for more info!
The LiveDVD is available in two flavors: a hybrid x86/x86_64 version, and an x86_64 multilib version. The livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0 version will work on 32-bit x86 or 64-bit x86_64. If your CPU architecture is x86, then boot with the default gentoo kernel. If your arch is amd64 boot with the gentoo64 kernel. This means you can boot a 64bit kernel and install a customized 64bit userland while using the provided 32bit userland. The livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.0 version is for x86_64 only.
Keep in mind that Gentoo is a rolling release distribution, so the LiveDVD is primarily a means to check out if Gentoo is something for you, or just to quickly check out a different desktop environment than in your installation, etc. Thanks to the RAM-based writable aufs support, one can play around with the Gentoo package manager Portage as well, to get a feel for it.
Please select your architecture to be redirected to a mirror for download:
Note that the LiveDVD image can also be used as a LiveUSB image. Please read the FAQ on using the LiveDVD.
Let’s talk about some of the GNOME-specific stuff: the LiveDVD comes with a full GNOME 2.32 environment, plus a huge list of GTK+ Applications in there. Of course, you can emerge the ones that we didn’t include. GNOME 2.32 was shipped because GNOME 3 had not yet been added to the tree or even released at the time of release. There are plans for a GNOME 3 livecd/dvd for the future, though, so stay tuned!
GNOME 2.32 is also the latest stable version in the Portage tree, and we intend to support it longer than 2.30 (which is still available in the tree). You can also read up on GNOME 2.32 caveats by skimming the Gentoo GNOME 2.32 upgrade guide. Feel free to contact us on #gentoo-desktop @ FreeNode in case you have any questions or suggestions about GNOME 2.32 and GNOME 3.0 on the LiveDVD or in Portage.