Software in the making edition
Gentoo Linux is proud to announce the availability of a new LiveDVD to celebrate the continued collaboration between Gentoo users and developers. The LiveDVD features a superb list of packages, some of which are listed below.
- System packages include: Linux Kernel 2.6.37 (with Gentoo patches), Accessibility Support with Speakup 3.1.6, bash 4.1, glibc 2.12.2, gcc 4.5.2, binutils 2.21, python 2.7.1 and 3.1.3, perl 5.12.3, and more.
- Desktop environments and window managers include: KDE SC 4.6, GNOME 2.32, Xfce 4.8, Enlightenment 1.0.7, Openbox 18.104.22.168, Fluxbox 1.3.1, XBMC 10.0 and more.
- Office, graphics, and productivity applications include: OpenOffice 3.2.1, XEmacs 21.5.29 gVim 7.3.102, Abiword 2.8.6, GnuCash 2.2.9, Scribus 1.9.3, GIMP 2.6.11, Inkscape 0.48.1, Blender 2.49b, XSane 0.997, and much more.
- Web browsers include: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13, Arora 0.11.0, Opera 11.0, Epiphany 2.30.6, Seamonkey 2.0.11, and other favorites.
- Communication tools include: Pidgin 2.7.10, Quassel 0.7.1, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.7, Claws Mail 3.7.8, Qtwitter 0.10.0, irssi 0.8.15, and many more.
- Development applications include: KDevelop 4.2, KDESvn 1.5.5, qt-creator 2.1.0, Bluefish 2.0.2, and many more.
- Multimedia applications include: Amarok 2.4, MPlayer 1.0_rc4, DVDAuthor 0.6.14, LAME 3.98.4, ffmpeg 0.6, GNOME-MPlayer 1.0.0, SMPlayer 0.6.9, and several others.
- Special Features:
- Writable AUFS support so you can emerge new packages!
- Persistancy for $HOME is available; press F9 for more info!
The LiveDVD is available in two flavors: a hybrid x86/x86_64 version, and an x86_64 multilib version. The livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0 version will work on 32-bit x86 or 64-bit x86_64. If your CPU architecture is x86, then boot with the default gentoo kernel. If your arch is amd64 boot with the gentoo64 kernel. This means you can boot a 64bit kernel and install a customized 64bit userland while using the provided 32bit userland. The livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.0 version is for x86_64 only.
And now some KDE specific words: the LiveDVD was finished the same day that KDE SC 4.6.1 was released, but we decided to give it some testing before adding it to the LiveDVD (of course it is available in the tree, you can even update it from inside the LiveDVD). As for KDEPIM, although we initially installed 4.6beta4, we saw too many objections and went with the old good 4.4.10, but I really hope to have a KDEPIM 4.6 (or a separate LiveDVD flavor) soon included. Apart from KDE SC, you’ll find a huge list of KDE / Qt applications (and you can always emerge the ones you want that we didn’t include), of which some are even maintained by Gentoo Developers, like Trojita, Avogadro and qTwitter. If you have any suggestions for packages we should include, feel free to contact me.
Please select your architecture to be redirected to a mirror for download:
Please read the FAQ on using the LiveDVD.